Monday, October 20, 2014

New Phone

I splurged this weekend and bought a new phone.  I *technically* didn't need a new phone.  My current phone was just fine.  Walt Kowalski bought it for me not long after we first got together. 

He said 'I splurged and spent a whole $12 on that phone for you.' He bought it for me because the previous phone I was using had been chewed by my aunt's dog.  It still worked, even with teeth marks, and it was my favorite.

I didn't really need the phone. My dinosaur phone, as I call it, dialed calls, answered calls, took pictures, received text messages, had a calculator, and a calendar.  That's all I needed.  If I needed more I would use a computer, which at the time, I was never more than an arm's length away from at all times.

However, things have changed.  I'm no longer near a computer for 8 hours a day.  More than once or twice or three times in the last week alone, I have said 'I wish I could look this up on the internet.' And how many times has Walt Kowalski said 'I wonder if another store has something we could use.'

So it was time to get a new phone.  I still didn't need a big phone plan and a fancy phone. Pay-as-you-go works for me and being in an even tighter budget lately, that was the route to go. I drop the thing enough, I don't want to break my new investment.  So typical me, I research, read reviews, read the advertisements and sales, and then spend 15 minutes reading the box before I actually purchase the phone. 

I'm content. I like it. 



My only concern was that I would become addicted to this new phone like I was to the tablet last winter. It was a cool new gadget. Walt Kowalski says he won't let that happen.

We get home last night and I'm ready to set up and transfer my number to my new phone.  The last time I did this online it didn't work and they had to end me a new sim card. This time I'm just going to call and let them walk me through the process. 

I just opened the box. I didn't even have time to lose any parts or pieces. Use the home phone to call Technical Support. 

TS: Thank you for calling technical support. How may I help you?
Me: I have a new phone and I would like to transfer my number from my old plan.

There is a small accent barrier, but I could still understand the technician. After a few start-up questions about my current plan and telephone number, we are ready to proceed.

TS:  I need you to find your activation code and your new telephone.
Me: Ok I have my activation card and my phone
TS: Please find the pin number on your activation card.
Me: There's a number, but it isn't labeled pin, it's labeled activation.
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the pin number on the activation card. 
Me: I have the activation card, there is no 15 digit pin. There's a 26 digit number to activate or another 30 digit for activation.
TS: No, no, no, no, no, find your original receipt. The activation code pin may be on the receipt.
Me: Ok here is the receipt, no activation code pin on here.
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the activation card. 
Me: I have the activation card. It says "START HERE to activate"
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the activation card.  What else is in the box.
Me: Here is everything in the box.  I have the activation card.
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the activation card.
Me: The box says '$40 30-day plan.'
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the activation card.
Me: I have the activation card.
TS: No, no, no, no, you need the activation card.
Me: I have the activation card.

(Suddenly I understand that definition of insanity.)

Then she says:

TS: Where *exactly* did you get this phone?

Suddenly, I think I'm being accused of stealing this phone. 

5 more minutes of this back and forth conversation of needing the activation card and she says "I can help you if you have the activation card." 

I HAVE THE ACTIVATION CARD!

Fine, I don't know what you need that I'm missing, but I will go back to the store tomorrow.  (Walt Kowalski offered to go right then, but I wouldn't let him because he was already clean, showered, and in his jammies.)

After I hung up and was frustrated beyond belief, I read the teeny, tiny small print at the bottom of the box.

An airtime card is not included in this box. 

Ahhhhhh, technical support wanted me to find the pin number on the airtime card, not the serial number on the activation card.  The last phone I purchased was a bundled deal, this one is not.  There is no airtime card included in this package. 

Technical support never once used the word airtime.  *sigh* It wasn't an accent problem, it was a vocabulary problem.

So this morning I'm headed back to the store for an airtime card, then I get to call technical support back. 

3 comments :

  1. Phone update: I love it. It's working, even if technical support said that due to my zip code, I *might* be roaming. But they wouldn't tell me what zip codes wouldn't be roaming. They really wanted me to change my phone number. Anyway, I have to make all the number transfers, but so far so good. I was going to work on the chimney, but now I think I might just play with my new phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Congratulations! Oh no! I'm the last one.. The sole survivor with the dinosaur phone. Even BMS has a smartphone. I can feel it, it's building....oh no................... I WANT A SMARTPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know for a fact if I get a smartphone, I will be on it ALL THE TIME. I'll be like the people I am always yelling at in my head----"get off the phone idiot!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lordy. What a crazy story. Crazy. Not unusual. :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete