Monday, October 6, 2014

Divide and Conquer

I don't check my email at all this weekend. This morning I have 219 new messages. 
 
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.  
Delete.
 
210 of those messages were junk.
 
This weekend Walt Kowalski and I worked together, but separate. Divide and conquer is what we call it.  Normally we use the divide and conquer when there are errands to run in different directions. "After the gym, you get a hair cut, make a stop at the beer store, and fuel up the truck.  I'll get groceries and drop off the items for donate.  We'll meet back home for dinner."
 
Walt Kowalski was busy finishing window trim at House #1 while I worked on removing the old plywood on the kitchen floor in the little house in the back. Removing the floor is helping to remove the old smell. Not foul, just old.  We want to install tile in the kitchen, so we'll need cement board and some most of the old floor boards need screws instead of nails.  After so many years, the nails are working their way up.
 
 
Meanwhile, Walt Kowalski set up a work area in the house in the front.
 
 
He came to find me because he needed assistance.  He was out of 1x6, white, painted boards for inside the windows.  As it turns out, the former remodeler of the house in the front used 1x6 white painted boards as trim instead of fancy trim.  I was able to gently pry the boards off of the walls so Walt Kowalski could reuse them.  I love recycling. 
 
 
 
Luckily I'm also going to replace the drywall in the house in the front, because the trim took off some of the plaster, too.  Oops.  There is that lath again.  No insulation.  {shakes head in disbelief}

 
I found three layers of wall paper under the trim.  It's a like a surprise from the past.  I can't wait to find more surprises. 

 
There are other things we're going to recycle from the house in the front.  Several doors will be used in the house in the rear and maybe even House #2 (if it fits). Walt Kowalski wants to use the old kitchen cabinets for storage in Shedzilla. Bathroom fixtures, dining room fixtures, window blinds.  All of these items will be used in another house.  
 
Tomorrow I start painting the little house in the back.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment