Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Just Do Something!

Ceilings are rough.  I think I have said that previously. I don't think this is the last time I will say those words, either. 
 
Drywall will take a little bit of handling, but it will also crack if you handle it too much.  Then you've wasted a piece and the seam lady has more seams to fill. 
 
The ceilings on the first floor are almost 10' high.  2' higher than the ceilings on the second floor.  We had to make a longer crutch, too.
 
The first piece always takes a little longer because the walls aren't perfectly square and we have to prepare some extra boards . Extra measuring and cutting are required. 
 
Ladders in place.  Screws in place.  Drill in place.  Walt Kowalski holding the drywall getting monkey arms.
 
 
 
 
10 foot ceilings and 10 foot sheets of drywall adds at least 10 extra pounds.  We got the second sheet up to the ceiling and locked in place with the crutch, but it wasn't lining up perfectly.  It wasn't even lining up less than perfectly.  It needed a little tweaking and adjusting. 

Walt Kowalski was holding the middle of the board and couldn't let go.  The adjusting was up to me. 

I was useless.  I couldn't move the drywall even an inch.  The crutch was too tight. 

'Just do something!' Walt Kowalski said with tired arms.

'What do you want me to do?' I said moving ladders and juggling drills and adjusting the crutch.

'Just screw something!' Walt Kowalski said. 



*sigh* We got it.  The most important part is that we can laugh about it afterwards.  No mean words were spoken.  Just words spoken with the desperation of tired arms and the image of falling drywall. 

We learn and get better every time we hang a piece of drywall. 

No comments :

Post a Comment