Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Résumé

I have been working on my résumé.  It's torture at times, yet at times I feel very proud of all I have accomplished.  Then my emotions turn and I wonder if I should have been doing something more for the last 17 years and how am I supposed to fit all of my career achievements on one, single page?  These words do not describe who I am and what about the moral and spiritual growth?

I am full of emotions. 

Maybe I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :)

It got me thinking about the process.  The hiring process is supposed to be about selecting the best candidate by words, criteria and accomplishments.  The hiring process should not consider appearance. 

Yet so much of life we are judged by appearances.  I am guilty at times.  How many of our first impressions are wrong?  More than we care to admit. 

On Friday, Walt Kowalski and I were fortunate enough to get a lane in the pool.  The warm pool is closed for renovations and the hot tub is closed due to problems, too.  This means the events that normally take place in the warm pool have been relocated to the big pool and the "Hot Tub Club" men are now hanging out in the pool. 

We don't mind.  We share when there is room, but we don't force our way into a lane.  We enjoy swimming, but it is not only our only form of exercise.  For us, it is relaxation.

The on-duty lifeguard Friday afternoon was a young man, with spikey hair, tattoos covering his arms and legs, earrings in both ears, listening to heavy metal music on the radio, and playing along on his air guitar and drums.  He was having a good time at work.

It was louder music than we are normally accustomed to hearing at the pool. But it didn't bother me; I don't hear anything but my own breathing when I'm swimming because I'm underwater. 

In the lane next to us was a woman we see in the pool and the cardio room every week.  I don't know her name, but I recognize her enough to say hello and make small talk.  She rolled her eyes and commented to us on the lifeguard's appearance and taste in music. 

I knew the song he was listening to on the radio.  I even the words to the chorus of the song.  Was it something I would listen to on a daily basis?  No. 

For a split second, I was tempted to just agree with her so she would get on her with her swim and I could continue with mine.  But I didn't.  His appearance had nothing to do with his capacity to do his job.  His taste in loud music had nothing to do with his ability to save my life if I were drowning.

I told her that.  I chuckled as I said it to make it light-hearted, not make it sound like an accusation.

This young man has a good job, spent his own money to be trained, tested and recertified as required.  I said that if his loud music was enough to keep him focused on what is certainly a boring job at times, then I really didn't mind the music.

She smiled, laughed, and agreed with me.  She probably went home and told her husband about the crazy lady at the pool. 

FYI, I like adding the accent marks over vowels. 

Résumé.

Wált Kowáláskí.
 
Ádvéñtürés Át The Cát Ráñch








1 comment :

  1. Still trying to figure out how to pronounce a tilde in "Adventures". Haha! Good post! Keep them coming! And in regards to your first paragraph, specifically line two....Don't look back, you're not going that way! You're moving forward! xoxo

    ReplyDelete