Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Step, step, steppity, step

Walking, there are 2,000 steps in a mile. 
 
There are 12 stairs from the first floor to the second floor at House #1. 
 
A flight of stairs does not equal a certain number of steps.  A flight is one floor of stairs, and does not exceed twelve steps. Flights are usually composed of ten to twelve steps. 
 
There are 86 flights of stairs in the Empire State Building. Some days I do that many between the upstairs and basement. 
 
From where is this term 'flight of stairs' derived?  The interwebs couldn't give me a definitive answer.  The best I found was that in English ‘a flight’ also came to mean a collection, set, or grouping of things such as a ‘flight of birds.’ Stairs are a collection. 
 
Ok, I can see that. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We insulated underneath the stairs so the cold air couldn't migrate down from the attic.  
 
 
Do you like the scaffolding? Walt Kowalski is planning to put in additional boards when I'm ready to plaster. 

 
 
Bit by bit we are closing in the old with new. 


The permit for the windows was easy today.  Window installation this weekend.  :)  I am jealous already. 

No comments :

Post a Comment