Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanks and Giving and Plumbing

What a busy few days, but a productive few days.
 
Good food.  Good family.  Good work.
Here is Walt Kowalski carving the nice, fat bird on Thanksgiving Thursday.
 
 
Maybe I jinxed myself joking about cooking disasters. Maybe cats shouldn't be trusted to guard the pie. 

Here is why you always make two pies.  (Dear family, nobody at dinner ate this pie. Honest.)

I had a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pie, so he didn't walk IN the pie with his cat paws. Just put lots whipped cream in that spot.   


We had our usual daily visitor.  This squirrel just sat by the back door for 15 minutes.  I think he knew what he was doing and who was watching and waiting. 

Plumbing at House #1 has been the top priority on the to-do list this weekend.  Now that the main water line has been repaired, the water was turned back on.  Walt Kowalski worked all weekend planning and piping.  He's got lines from the basement running up to the kitchen, laundry room, upstairs bathroom, and the toilet in the basement.  No more bucketing water to flush.  Flush.
 
I got a lesson in toilet repair.  Probably not something I'll have to do often, but I'm glad I know how to do it. 
 
Hooking up the hot water is next.  Then the furnace.  Keep fingers crossed that the old hot water tank works. 
 
While Walt Kowalski was working in the basement, I was working on more demo the second floor. 
 
This is the old bathroom. 
 
Before
 
I removed four layers of tile floor and plywood before I got to the floor boards.  The floorboards were replaced many years ago, but they are still in good condition. 

After
 
The tub still needs to come out and we'll need many new floor boards to cover those holes.
 
Things I learned this weekend:
  1. Timing is important to make a toilet flush.
  2. When working on plumbing, cold water will always run down your sleeve to your elbow.  Maybe even your armpit.
  3. Never trust a cat to guard your pie.
 


No comments :

Post a Comment