Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Germs

There is food everywhere this time of the year.

Cheese and crackers in the break room.  Candy and cookies by the coffee maker. Popcorn and pretzels by the copy machine.  (I have I ever told you my love of popcorn?)


Everything looks and smells delicious. 

Temptation is everywhere.  So are germs. 

Yesterday, I was headed out to the microwave to heat up water to make a cup of tea when I spied my co-worker standing next to the cookie trays.  I stopped and watched.

Just moments earlier I watched him walk past my office door heading towards the refrigerator from his office.  While he waited the 5 minutes and 36 seconds for his processed box of sodium to warm, he touched the freezer door handle, he touched the microwave handle, he touched the microwave buttons, he straightened the napkins by the microwave, he touched the door frame of a co-worker's office, and he straightened the pile of magazines.

Then he noticed the cookie trays.  Two trays.  Both half full.  He then proceeded to pick-up every cookie on the first tray and place it on the second tray and disposed of the empty first tray. 

The only thing he didn't do was lick his fingers between each cookie.  

Last year when the boss brought in the popcorn tin, I was the first to remove the lid.  When I did, I got a small plastic cup from the kitchen and placed it in the tin of popcorn.  Now when you wanted popcorn, you could scoop out some onto a napkin.  

I wasn't so quick this year.  Someone opened it before I had the opportunity.  No popcorn for me this year.  That's ok. 

I would like to think that my co-worker's only thought was that of being helpful to tidy up the area, but my only thought was "What have his hands touched?"

I know a few germs are good for us, but we have enough at home at the Cat Ranch.  I'll pass on the ones from the community food. 

Excuse me I'm going to wash my hands now.  

P.S. If you ever come to my house and get a cat hair in your food, I'm sorry.  They have all been sanitized for your protection. 

1 comment :

  1. We eat fluffy hairs with our olives. And we still enjoy our food!

    ReplyDelete