Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Blogging and Bogging

Tonight the cooking will begin. 

Pumpkin pie
Brownies
Bread
Biscuits
Green Beans
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Cranberry sauce

Here is the kitchen sink cranberry bog from a few years ago:


How many different colors of red.  Lovely.

I made the pie dough last night.  Pie is first on the list tonight.  I always make the pie first and I always buy enough ingredients to make them twice.  Just. In. Case.  If something goes wrong, there is time to start over. 

What could go wrong?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is me. 
This is me in the kitchen.  You don't get good at cooking without a few mistakes.  Ok maybe dozens of mistakes.

Let's see, there was the time I tripped carrying the tray of toasted party mix from the oven to the counter. 

I saw it all happen in S-L-O-W motion. 

Cereal, pretzels, and nuts all up in the air and all landing on the floor.  I have no idea what I tripped over.

Most recently there was the Pistachio cake. Walt Kowalski was there to witness that fiasco.  A lady at work requested I make a Pistachio cake for her party.  Just after the cake cooled, Walt Kowalski asked what it looked like.  I tilted the cake towards him and it slid right off the pan and onto the floor.  I landed perfect.  Not a single crack or crumble.  I flipped it back on to the pan, dusted it off, and put a layer of icing on it.  Everybody raved about it.  (I wasn't prepared to make an extra.)

Ohhh how about the wedding cake that had to be delivered the morning of December 31st.  It was an afternoon reception.  No biggie, except that the night before was an ice storm and the roads were less than terrific in the morning.  It was a good thing I brought extra icing to hide Grammy's fingerprints where she held onto the cake so it wouldn't tumble as I drove on the icy roads.  

Then there were the sweet potatoes.  Technically, this story gets credited to my Pap.  He and Granny were coming to Grammy's house for dinner.  Granny made the pies and sweet potatoes.  I love the sweet potatoes.  When they arrived they had pies.  No sweet potatoes.  The sweet potatoes had an accident.  Pap was trying to turn the knob of the basement door while holding the hot casserole and the casserole slipped to the floor. 

This past summer, one warm summery evening Walt Kowalski and I were grilling burgers.  I brought a container out to the grill to store the extras.  After Walt Kowalski transferred the food from the grill to the container, I intended to place the container on the side board of the grill and missed.  Burgers and hot dogs all over the ground. The raccoon ate well that night.

Let's hope it goes well this evening.

No comments :

Post a Comment