Thursday, September 12, 2013

Your Support and Influence Respectfully Solicited

We've found a lot of dirt in House #1.  We've found some crap in House #1.  We also found a couple of interesting items of local history.

Yesterday, as Walt Kowalski was removing kitchen walls and I was taking down the ceiling, a small business card fluttered to the floor.  Walt Kowalski picked it up and said "Hey, look at this."  so I looked.


Adam M. Wyant

Never heard of him.

The first thing that ran through my head was "Crap, another bit of history I should know and I don't."

Then I looked at the card.

1932!

Now I know why Walt Kowalski said to look.  He didn't know him either. He was amazed at how preserved the card was from 1932.

Now I need to know who Adam M. Wyant is.


Google and Wiki tell me that he was a Republican member of the House of Representatives from 1920 to 1932.  He was the first professional football player elected to the Congress. 

Born near Kittanning, he went to school in Chicago, then returned to the area to teach at the Mt. Pleasant Institute, Mt. Pleasant, PA.  In 1896, he moved to Greensburg and continued to play professional football with the Greensburg Athletic Association.  While still playing football, he became the first principal of Greensburg High School (now Greensburg-Salem) and soon became the city's first superintendent of schools. 

From superintendent and football player,  he went on to law school and practicing law in Greensburg and in 1920 headed for Congress. 

I still have never heard of him.   Want to bet that sometime in the next week his name will come up?

 

No comments :

Post a Comment