Monday, September 30, 2013

Invasion

I know everybody is complaining about them.  We are no different.  We've got them and hate them, too.  Stink bugs. 
 
The trees are full of them. The chimney sweep guy who came on Thursday said that our area is one of the worst.  Lucky us.  I asked him not to judge us by the number of stink bugs in our chimney.  He laughed, but I have a feeling he was thinking it.  
This is just one side of the house:
 
Please note the sneakiness of these bugs.  They know to stay in the high places of the house, just out of my reach.
 
The front door, garage, and back door are just as bad. Every evening as the late afternoon sun warms the trees, they come out in droves.  Swarms.  Walt Kowalski attacks with the broom.  I attack with the swatter.  We could (and have) spent hours in this battle.  Getting into and out of the house is difficult.  They cover the screens and stick to your back hitchhiking inside when you're not looking.
 
We have even started keeping the windows shut to help slow down the traffic into the house, but even the glass isn't stopping them.  They find a way in through every little crack and crevice.   
 
We had a camp fire on the back patio one evening.  What we didn't realize was that the smoke from our fire created a bug bomb.  All of the stink bugs hiding in the oak tree leaves above, came out choking and coughing and flew right down on to us sitting below. 
 
Then yesterday afternoon, to make matters worse, we have a new battle to fight.  In addition to fighting the stink bug battle, a batch of flying ants hatched.  At least the stink bugs are slow movers.  The flying ants are fast.  They fly at your face, in your drink, in your food, in your hair.  gag.
 
I know this is their last hurrah.  They know it, too. The yellow jackets are especially annoying this time of year, too.  They are arrogant. 
 
*sigh* Remind me again why I like living in the forest? 
 
How about a pretty picture so we stop thinking about bugs:
 
 
 
Ahhh that's better. Walt Kowalski bought me these and a bunch of yellow.  My two favorite mum colors. 
 
 
I cropped the photo so you couldn't see the stink bugs.   :)

No comments :

Post a Comment