Monday, December 15, 2014

End Cap

Once again, what I plan to accomplish and what I get accomplished are two different things.  Everything seems to take longer than I expect. The height factor is always a time consumer. 

What is the height factor? 

The height factor is that I'm short.  I need a stepping device (ladder, bucket, stool, egg crate, chair) for things that Walt Kowalski can do without a stepping device.  So the process of getting, setting, and moving a ladder adds time. Time I forget to add into the calculations. 

I guess I'll just have to stick to floor work.  Or in this case, end caps for the countertops.  Except, I don't like doing the end caps.  It's an important detail to finishing the countertop, but it's a pain in the rear.

First, it required I attach an extra piece of wood.  That's the small square strip attached to the bottom of the end of the counter top. 

This should be easy.  Just a little liquid nail, sticky sticky, squishy squishy, iron, iron. Done. No nails required.

Wrong! The countertop had a slight bow to it, so the strip of wood wouldn't stick.  Wait, it would stick to the right side, but when I pressed the left side of the strip to the countertop, the right side would pop off. 

 

After smearing everything with liquid nail adhesive, now I still have to get some small tacks. 

The small nails worked.  Now I can iron on the end cap of laminate. It is shaped perfectly to the countertop with an adhesive on the back. It takes a few minutes to heat the laminate and wait for it to stick and pressssssss and iron and press and iron.  And don't burn your fingers. 

It looked nice.  I could work on the other end of the countertop.


When I returned to this side of the counter to check the glue, I noticed a problem.  I didn't see it originally, but in the process of tapping in the nails, the small strip of wood moved slightly and was visible sticking out from the bottom of the end piece of laminate!!!

And now the liquid nails had hardened and the glue behind the end cap stuck, too! 

No more nice guy with the hammer.  No time for tapping, now time for whacking. One good whack with the hammer and the small strip of wood moved back into place.

*sigh* 

I don't like end caps.

1 comment :

  1. After all that... it does look really nice. Mike said he gets the "what I PLAN to accomplish and what I GET accomplished". He doesn't have the height factor, he said he has the "work 7 days a week with two little kids" factor. I just have the "I can't read a tape measure" factor.

    ReplyDelete