Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Do I smell Smoke?

Quick story

Yesterday I needed to cut several boards in small pieces for around a door frame of House #1.  (More about finishing details tomorrow.) The blade in the chop saw is dull.  It cuts, but it struggles to get through.  Even the smallest of boards. 

I was cutting small pieces off of a piece of a large 2" x 6" board.

Saw, saw, saw, saw, saw, saw.  Slowly, and in small bits, I was getting through the board.  Engage the blade.  Retract the blade. Engage the blade. Retract the blade.  I felt like a chainsaw on a large tree.  I didn't want to bog down the blade.

I was making my way through the cut.  I was also filling the house full of smoke.  Luckily, I was working in the front house, which has become our work zone. 

Saw, saw, cut, cut, smoke, smoke. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP

The smoke set off every smoke detector in the house. Good to know they work.  Really annoying when you know there isn't a fire. 

I aired out the smoke detectors ad made them stop beeping. Then I finished my cuts. 

About five minutes later, I heard the rumbling of a large truck engine outside.  It was too early for the school bus.  It must be a delivery truck.


No delivery truck.  It was the local fire department. 

How powerful are these smoke detectors? Did they know I just filled the house full of smoke? That's the kind of service you want in a fire situation. 

I waited a moment, hiding behind the side of the window, totally expecting them to knock on the door because a neighbor called.  They didn't.  They were just at the neighbor's house.

Total coincidence. 

No comments :

Post a Comment