Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Decorating

It was a damp and dreary day yesterday.  Rain, clouds, and all around gray.  Blah.

What better way to fight off the gray blahs than with Christmas music, Christmas decorations, Christmas movies, and hot tea.

It worked! No gray blahs here. I had lots of help, too.

Several years ago, Walt Kowalski made me a stand for the Christmas tree. Knowing that I have four nebby noses and one with especially nebby paws that won't leave the tree alone, I have to anchor my tree.  I was using several bricks on each leg of the tree stand. This worked, but they had to be repositioned regularly because they would move.  I also had to make sure I had the bricks prepared before the weather turned cold and the bricks froze to the ground.

Walt Kowalski said came up with the brilliant idea to screw the tree stand to a large piece of plywood. Now the tree may sway, but it won't fall over. 

Fudge arrived to inspect my work. He approved.

 
First, I put several towels down to protect the floor and to make the tree easier to slide on the hardwood if I need to move the tree. 

 
More help inspecting and if you can't tell, Oreo is already in the first layer of branches licking all of the "needles." This tree has three sections.  It's is heavy, but easy to put up. It takes a little while to reshape the branches.  


More help.

Last year, Walt Kowalski and I accidentally found a 90% off sale of decorations.  We were at the home improvement store early on New Years' Day and they were just marking down their decorations.  I got these new red, shatterproof ornaments.  You can see why I need shatterproof ornaments. Oreo loves being IN the tree.  I use florist wire to attach the ornaments to the tree for this reason.
 
 
But she's just too cute and so photogenic.


I love the little white lights.  Last year I didn't put enough lights on the tree.  This year I used a thousand white lights. Just call me Clark Griswold.

 
I saved the angel for Walt Kowalski when he got home.  Grammy got this for me a few years ago.


Do you have an angel or star on the top of your tree?  Or maybe you have another family tradition that adorns the top of your tree.  Please share!

1 comment :

  1. Great picture with Oreo in the tree! We have an angel too but I downsized my tree, so I bought a smaller star for the top. I placed the star on the top and then it just drooped over (insert Charlie Brown Christmas Tree jokes here). So I need to take the star back and will see what the angel looks like.

    ReplyDelete