Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Skeletons

Don't judge me.  No, you can judge, I do.  I judge myself worse than anybody could judge me.

The next project has been delayed.  I'm not trying to build the suspense. The paperwork isn't finished yet. It should be another week.  But it's ok.  That will give me time to work on those unfinished projects I have discussed. The list grows at every turn.

I have skeletons in my closet. Not the Halloween kind. (Although, I plan to get them out of storage today.)

I have a secret room in the Cat Ranch.  The Room of Doom as I like to call it.  No, no dead bodies. Although they could be hiding in there and it would take me a while to find them.  I have a room full of stuff.  It's just stuff.  All the stuff I never know where to put.  The place where I stash everything when company is coming.  Since we turned our basement back into a game room, I can no longer hide my stuff in the basement.

It started as a closet room.  So the majority of things in the room are clothes.  But then I had to have a place to put the extra blankets and pillows. And then there are all of the papers (Even with electronic delivery and a small filing cabinet, I'm still drowning in papers!) Then there are a few Christmas candles that I bought after the holiday, but the Christmas decorations were already put in storage, so they got put in the room. Then I added the sewing machines I need to order parts for and get to Mr. P to get fixed (read about that here). Also in this room are gift bags and wrapping paper. Parts of arts and crafts projects. Future arts and crafts projects. The sweeper hangs out in this room. Jewelry boxes. Toilet tissue. Magazines. The list goes on and on and on.

Have a look for yourself.  Judge all you want.

 
I'm embarrassed by this photo and room.   I have good intentions. What happened?!?!?!?!
 
I'll tell you what happened. 
1. I ran out of time in one day. The cats love to explore in this room and want to bed down on the soft fuzzy sweaters and clothes.  So the door has to stay closed at all times. 
2. I have to take everything OUT of the center of the room to work in the room.  At the end of the day, I put it all away. Finished or not.  In this case, most of the time, not finished.
3. I get tired or bored or frustrated. And I start to feel like a hoarder.
4. I have too many clothes.  With a career change this year, I have professional clothes and construction clothes.  Who knows what is on the horizon in the coming year(s). I'm not ready to part with the professional clothes. They need thinned out, though.
 
And the worst...
5. I'm guilty of opening the door, taking everything that's on the kitchen table and island and stuffing it into the room because company is coming.  This is usually a pile of receipts, bills, magazines. I promise I'll get back, but then another pile of papers appears. 
 
So with this week of rest, I am working on this room.  I'm not tackling the entire room in one day.  Yesterday I put all of the clean clothes away and started small.  I started to eliminate t-shirts.  Too small - nieces. Too stained - garbage. Tired of it - donate.
 
I only spent an hour, once again I ran out of time.  It was a start.  Today I do some more. 
 
I liken this process to that of losing weight.  If you announce it and declare it, you face a better chance of sticking to it.  
 
And speaking of sticking to it, Walt Kowalski and I started back to the gym last night.  He's so funny.  I packed the bags and met him at the gym.  On the walk in he tried to use every reason he could to get out of it. 
 
WK: "Did you pack exercise socks?"
Me: "Yes, I have two pair."
WK: "What kinds of clothes did you pack?"
Me: "I packed you three different shirts.  You can choose." 
WK: "What about music? Is my MP3 player in here? What about headphones?"
Me: "Yes, I have them in my bag."
WK: "What about the lock for my locker?"
Me: "Got that too."
 
ARGH!
 
Walt Kowalski is such a good sport.  I keep reminding him that I just want us to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible.  Besides, we said we weren't going to hurt ourselves and start slow. 
 
Ha!
 
This happens to us every time.  We said 'Just 20 minutes.' After 20 minutes, were close to a particular mile mark and say 'Just to the end of this mile.' After the mile mark, we are close to a step goal. 'Just after the next step goal.' But then the cycle start again.  Only another minute. Let me finish this mile. Just a few more steps. 
 
To quote Forrest Gump:
 
"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."
 
Some days are like that.  We can keep going forever.  Let's hope I can say that about the closet room today.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment