Thursday, July 10, 2014

Water traffic

One of my favorite parts of vacation is that there is so much to see.  People on the Boardwalk, people on the beach, kites, dolphins, flags, sea creatures, boats, and ships, and watercraft, oh my. 

The bay had lots of sail boats.
 
 
This one was cruising out on the ocean one morning.



From the patio of our condo, we could see the BIG ships out on the ocean. 


 
The shipping lanes were just in view, so every morning and evening we could *just* see the full ships. What are they carrying and where are there going?   At night we would see the lights from the fishing boats, too. 
 
 
During the day we were entertained by lots of water craft passing by our beach location.
This is my favorite the SeaRocket. I love that rooster tail of water. 

 
The OCRocket was the sister boat and just as cool.  The captain of this boat would often stop, not far from our beachfront, to give the passengers onboard a view of the pods of dolphins passing by.  We saw the pods everyday.  Several days the pods were close to the shore, just past the breaking waves.  What a show. 

 
There was also breaks in the water traffic for commercials.  The SeaBoard went by 4 or 5 times a day.  It was a HUGE LED sign on both sides of a boat.  It advertised restaurants, stores, beach activities, safety, and personal messages.  Happy Anniversary!  Happy Birthday!  You can have your own message posted on the SeaBoard. 


The Bay Bridge had an advertising campaign on the buses and SeaBoard featuring two cute seagulls.


I never was able to catch this particular advertisement on my camera.  (I only took my camera down to the beach one day.  Too big of a risk of sand.  Even in a zipper bag.)

Then there were the sports water craft.  Parasails, jet boats, JetSki, banana boats, and something new this year ... the Jetpack.

 
There were two different varieties.  This one was a jet pack worn on the back.  The other was a jet pack worn on your feet.  Both used water to propel the wearer into the air.  Very cool to watch. 

 
 
Nothing I want to try.  It looks cool to watch, but I don't think I want to parasail either.  (Maybe I've seen Jurassic Park III too many times.)
 
 
 
 On the way out of town, I caught a tug boat pulling a barge on the bay.


So much to see, so little time. 

No comments :

Post a Comment