Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Indecent Food


We had a role reversal on Sunday. 

I shoveled most of the length of the driveway while Walt Kowalski shoveled the hill.  Then I *finally* took the Christmas decorations and hauled them up to the storage tubs in the Shedzilla.  I organized and got all of the parts and pieces back in the proper containers.  It was cold, but Shedzilla provided good shelter from the wind while allowing the sun in. 

Meanwhile, Walt Kowalski sucked up another 2 or 3 cats of fur around the house, a boat load of stink bugs, dusted and mopped the floors, made a fire AND made dinner. 

He is so good to me.  I often ask him if I tell him that enough. 

I love to cook.  He loves to cook, too.  I do most of the cooking because he's busy doing other things around the house.  I do the healthy, low-fat cooking.  He does the decadent, good for your soul cooking and sneaks in more butter when I'm not looking!

Walt Kowalski makes food that is so good, it's obscene.

Garlic butter chicken.  Over smashed potatoes. 
 
 
I could have licked the pan it was that good.  There is enough for leftovers one night this week, too.
 
I have been on a popcorn kick.  Last week on my day off, I got out my stove top popcorn maker.  It takes a little more effort than the microwave kind, but the results are 100 times better.  We've had popcorn every night for the last week. 
 
A 1/4 cup of kernels yields about 9 cups of popcorn.  An entire pot full of crisp, tender popcorn created with just a tablespoon or two of Canola (or olive) oil. 
 
Add just a hint of sugar...you've got Kettle Corn
Add just a hint more of sugar...you've got caramel corn.
Add just a drizzle of melted chocolate....you've got chocolate-covered caramel corn. 

 
 
Not the over the top sweet caramel corn either.  I am going to experiment with different seasonings this week. Topping the list: Parmesan cheese, Old Bay, Italian seasoning, cinnamon and pepper, Red hot and butter. 
 
Completely accidental side note: Sunday, January 19th was national popcorn day.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment