Thursday, August 7, 2014

Floored


I always try to save a dollar.  I will always be thrifty, sometimes cheap.  I will always make Walt Kowalski roll his eyes when I pull out my book of coupons.  But after showing him the numbers of savings, he totally gets it.  And he gets crab as a reward for savings. 

When I did the math and figured out that if we use the same flooring in the entire house (bedrooms, halls, living, & dining rooms), I would need close to 35 boxes of flooring.  Then I did the math at the home improvement store and figured out that if I buy 37 boxes of laminate flooring I will get the bulk price and save $2 on each box.

I'll save another $1.99 per square foot on installation.  (That's over $1000!) Heck the floor is almost free at this point! 

I neglected to think about several things:

1.  The weight of 37 boxes of laminate floor.
2. Who was going to unload the 37 boxes of laminate floor.
3. Where am I going to put 37 boxes while we install 37 boxes.

There were 48 boxes of laminate on a pallet.  The home improvement store removed 11 boxes, wrapped up the rest pallet for me, and set the pallet of flooring into the back of Big Red. 

Her shocks and springs got a workout.   With that load, I didn't make any additional stops.  I drove directly home and started to unload all 37 boxes. 

We have boxes in every room.  Big Red sighed in relief when I finished unloading. I'm glad I didn't get more boxes of tile, too. 



The finished kitchen floor is the new storage zone.


We started in the front bedroom.  Walt Kowalski gave me a refresher course in laminate flooring because it's been a few years since we installed a floor.

He needed the refresher course, too.  We both forgot the nuances of installing a floor.  By row three, we had it. 


I could do it myself, but it was easier with two people.  Four eyes to watch all edges are better than two.  


It goes fast once we start rolling along. It looks nice, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment