Monday, October 14, 2013

Morning Zombies

There are zombies on the way to work every morning.  Zombies that you can only see when the headlights of the truck shine on their eyeballs.  This time of the year deer are the most prevalent zombies.  This morning, there was a bunny zombie in the yard near the compost pile.  Deer zombies run almost immediately, but the bunny zombies stand still until the last possible second, then they run.  

This morning when we got to the garage to get the work van, there was a small zombie by the back of the building.  Too small for a deer zombie, too large for a bunny zombie.  Fox zombie? Turkey zombie?

Oh no, I was wrong, there were two zombies.  And I think one of them is wearing a sweater. Even zombies need to be fashionable.  

The zombies quickly approached us, tails wagging, and started playing!  Oh the horror!

Instead of zombies, what we had were two very friendly dogs.  A bulldog and a small terrier type dog wearing a lovely red, knitted sweater.  Two zombies that were obviously not street dogs and shouldn't have been outside alone at this hour.  Luckily, they were both wearing collars. 

Walt Kowalski opened the truck door to get out and the bulldog thought that was the opportunity to jump into Walt Kowalski's lap and go for a ride.  Obviously, going for rides in a truck was routine for him. In the meantime, the little sweater-wearing dog was just running and running and running around. 

I came around the truck to see if their tags had an address and this was mistaken as a sign of playtime and jump time!  Lots of jumping and running and jumping and running.  They were too cute. 

As Walt Kowalski pulled his work van out of the garage, I ran around the back of the garage and called the dogs to follow me.  They were familiar with the route and followed.  I knew they lived close.

I needed to do a little coaxing up the hill towards the houses because they were more interested in heading to the convenience store.  It was very obvious they were familiar with this route.  I'm betting they get snacks at the store on a regular basis.  You know, zombies love snacks.

As I started up the hill, zombies following, the front porch light was on at the third house up. On the front porch was a bathrobe-laden lady calling "Lola!" 

Somehow I expect zombies to have scarier names than Lola.

They ran home and she called 'thank you.'  I did my good dog deed for the day. 
.
.
.
Speaking of snacks, Saturday night, after a long day of work outside, we were getting ready for bed.  Walt Kowalski was in the shower and I was brushing my teeth and after I finished I said 'oh, that bed will feel so nice.'

Walt Kowalski replied from in the shower 'Did you say you need Scooby snacks?'


No comments :

Post a Comment