Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Klunk..klunk klunk........klunk

I love our programmable thermostat.  We use it more in the winter than in the summer.  The temperature in the house can be low all day, but a 1/2 hour before we get home the thermostat will cycle, the heat will kick on, and warm air will pour out of the registers.  Ahhhhh. 

It's funny because on days we are home from work I will forget about the programmable thermostat.  I won't remember that the heat has cycled off.  Usually I'm active on my days off at home.  But then around 3pm, I'll say to myself 'why is it so cold in here?'  Duh.

We skipped the gym tonight.  In exchange, we ran a few errands to get supplies for the weekend and worked on the floor in the hallway.  We got home just in time for the heat to kick on.  Ahhh.  I went to open the garage door for Walt Kowalski and put a load of laundry in the washing machine when I heard the noise. Klunk..klunk klunk.........klunk. 

It wasn't an even rhythm.  I listened again.  Klunk..klunk klunk.........klunk.

Now I am new to the world of heating and cooling, but I could hear it was coming from the furnace.  The less than two-year-old furnace.  Crap..crap crap.......crap.

The worst part is that I had to tell Walt Kowalski.  He's been working so hard at work and on all of the houses, the last thing I want to tell him is that something is broken at the Cat Ranch. 

One listen and he knew it was the motor.  It was working, but not working well. 

$$$$$ that's all I saw when he told me.

10 minutes later he had the motor out, confirmed there was a problem, and put the motor back in.

'It's fine.  I'll get another one.  It's got a 5 year warranty.' 

:) :) :) :) :)

Just a small delay on our project for the evening, the floor of the entry.  The floor is not so sticky, but still a little sticky.  We have a dark tile in the game room downstairs and a light tile in the kitchen.  We talked about putting the same darker tile from the game room in the entry and we've talked about putting the same light kitchen tile in the entry.

But we aren't ready to make a decision on either.  We want to get a new front door and entry.  So we don't want to put down the good tile just yet.  No need risking a break in the floor during construction. 

Winter is coming, whether we like it or not. The current wood floor will not take kindly to water and salt.

The solution is a temporary vinyl floor.  (Wait a minute, didn't we just take one up?  Yes, but it was brittle and stinky.)



The foyer isn't getting changed, just the entry.  AND we want to refinish the steps.  If we drip on this temporary floor it's not a big deal. 


The funny part is that from a distance it looks a lot like the current ceramic kitchen floor or from a different angle it looks like the current porcelain game room floor.

Lots of things to consider for both House #1 and House #2.

(Yes, Grammy, I know I should have put the shoes away before I took the photo, but then it would be fiction.)

1 comment :

  1. It's a shame you don't have a good furnace guy to install that new motor. wink wink nudge nudge!

    ReplyDelete