Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Jumping Beans

I had to dismiss a worker today.  It's never a fun experience.  It's not the first time I've had to go through this process and I'm sure it won't be the last.  If you look at everything she did, or didn't do, individually these items wouldn't have been a big deal.  But when you stack up all of the strikes against her, in baseball terms, she was more than out. 

It took me an hour just to write and re-write the email.  Then I even let it sit for a while and went back and re-read it before I sent it.  This wasn't a surprise to her either.  She had a final warning just yesterday.

Am I perfect employee?  No. Am I a better employee than my co-workers?  YES! Of course I say that.  They probably feel the same way about themselves.  There is a whole other post here, but I won't go into that right now. 


We've been jumping back and forth between houses the last few days.  House #2, House #1, House #2, House #1.  With a few new pipes and fittings, Walt Kowalski got the boiler working at House #2.  The forecast for this weekend is chilly.  It's fall.  *sigh* Finally it will be nice to work outside and not sweat.  We'll need to be near the fire to keep warm. 

Last night we worked on removing the ductwork from House #1 to prepare for a new furnace.  Once again, we say the same thing 'why did they do this?'.  Missing cement clocks in the foundation.  Holes cut randomly in beams creating sagging support.  Wires buried behind and beneath an between. 

From the outside, the old furnace didn't look bad.  The inside was a different subject.  There were holes that could have leaked fumes that could be deadly in the night.  Hello new high-efficiency furnace. We don't have it yet.  We're not even close to being ready for it. Luckily, we have a little time.

Tonight, after a short stop at House #2, we'll be back to finish removing the ductwork.  It will be a truckload for the junkman.

Tomorrow is some tree trimming and working at storage.  Jump....jump....jump....jump....

No comments :

Post a Comment