Friday, May 1, 2015

Breakthrough

Walt Kowalski has been busy working away at the front house while I have been loafing. Ha ha, I joke. Actually, we were dividing and conquering again.  I went back to the Cat Ranch to do laundry, clean bathrooms, run sweeper, and make dinner.  

I would have rather taken down walls.  Walt Kowalski always says "I can push 10 buttons on my phone and dinner will be delivered." I don't mind it sometimes, but not all the time. I over salad him some weeks. 

I've been asked multiple times 'what is so bad about the current plaster?  Why do you have to take it all down?'

Several reasons.  

1. Wiring.  We want new.  It's old cloth covered wire.  To dangerous.
2. Water damage.  The chimney is leaking. the roof leaked. No way we want to do all of this work and have the chimney leak again.  And besides, we're taking the chimney out. 

There are other reasons, Those are the biggest ones right now. 

Here is a good example.  The previous owners attempted to hide cracks in the walls. They took seam tape and covered the cracks and then repainted. One small pull and the tape came off.  Paint and all. 

In the dining room downstairs, much like the front bedroom, they just put drywall over the old plaster ceiling.  Let's just hide the problems and not fix them.  



Then we found where they covered over a window (badly). They didn't put any support or insulation where the window used to be.  You could lean on the wall and the wall would move.  *sigh*


Walt Kowalski made a breakthrough from the back bedroom to the front bedroom. 


This was a closet.  A closet so small you couldn't hang a shirt on a hanger if you wanted the door to close properly.  The hangers would have been sideways.  I know space was limited, but this was too small.  Then again, I could have turned it into a closet space just for shoes.  More space in the rooms will be better. 

Piles of lath for the fire. 


The wall between bedrooms with the chimney. Getting rid of the chimney will gain bedroom and hall space, too.


The buckets of plaster are piling up.  Next week...dumpster delivery.  


No comments :

Post a Comment