Monday, May 18, 2015

One Job

Dear City,

You had one job. Empty the dumpster.  

Here was our agreement.  Instead of going to another company and having to get a permit, I would rent dumpster from you for a weekly fee. No permit needed and you got some easy money from a member of your community. You would bring the dumpster to the requested location, I would fill the dumpster, and you would take it away in 1 week.  Empty or full. If I wanted the dumpster emptied sooner, I would go to your office, pay for another week, and you would empty the dumpster on the day I paid.

Sounds like an excellent agreement.  

Our relationship started out great. We paid, you provided, we filled, we paid, you emptied. Once you even gave us an extra weekend.  We didn't mind. 

I now realize that extra weekend was only great when the dumpster was not completely full.  



Walt Kowalski and I planned the dumpster rental around the weekend.  We planned to fill the current dumpster, have a check to you on Friday morning, and have an empty dumpster Friday afternoon for the next weekend. We have done this before, do you remember?

So when I get the call around 2:30 pm that the new dumpster had been paid for and the current dumpster was still full, you can understand I wasn't pleased. I was even less pleased to find out that on Fridays, you are done working at 2 o'clock pm and that dumpster I paid for is not going to be emptied until Monday morning. 

What about our agreement? 

You can't be late for you Friday afternoon tee time, can you? I bet you didn't hesitate to deposit that check I gave you this morning, did you? But if I'm late paying, you don't care and make certain you remind me I was late. 

So now I have a weekend of work planned and an overflowing dumpster

Ok, Lesson learned.  I will still honor our agreements in the future, but I will no longer trust you. Because you can't be trusted, I will call and call and call you again until the dumpster is empty. Because you can't be trusted, I will be the responsible one and get you the request for an emptied dumpster a day earlier than I need.  

Once again, City, you have disappointed me.  


Love, me.

P.S. Your truck is going to struggle to pick up that dumpster to empty it.  It is HEAVY. I didn't wait for the empty dumpster.  I added as much as I could to every corner of this current dumpster.  It is overflowing.  I probably would have needed an extra week's rental from you, but not anymore. Maybe I should be thanking YOU for saving me money after all.  


No comments :

Post a Comment