Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Weapons of Leaf Destruction

Choose your weapons wisely.



In the spring battle against fall leaves, one cannot be ill prepared.  This little rake is perfect to get between the shrubs and trees and in the garden without pulling up plants and blubs.  Last spring I pulled out my old, little rake ready to take on the leaves.  It had 3 tines left.  Walt Kowalski looked at me and said 'What are you going to do with that? Comb Tweety Bird's hair?'

It was one of those things that I didn't realize how bad it was because it didn't get like that all at once.  It slowly got progressively worse and lost tines every now and then. 

Walt Kowalski said "I think we can afford a new rake for you." It still felt like a splurge. 


 
I don't have an after photo yet.  It's still a work in progress.  Last night I raked some more.  Walt Kowalski hauled 6 wheel barrow loads of sticks away and probably the same amount of loads of leaves.  We're still only half way finished.  He's right, with a few less trees we'll have a few less leaves.  {hopefully!}

Working outside in boots has its own set of advantages. My feet stay warm. My feet stay dry.  my feet stay protected from stones and falling tree limbs. 

Working outside in boots had its own set of disadvantages. The grooves of the boots hold mud. To come back in the house, I have to take the boots off. 

What a pain. 

Yes, I have tiptoed inside with my boots on to grab the torch for the fire or some newspaper.  I do that when I know I can take one step in the back door on the tile and reach what I need from the kitchen table. 

But when I have to take more than one step inside, I need a different plan.   




Classy. But it works. One year, when we were putting a new garden in the side yard, I left two empty shoe boxes by the back door.  It was really easy to put one foot in each box and shuffle my way inside. I just couldn't walk up or down any steps. 

Cocoa Fluff, however, is never pleased with the bags. 

1 comment :