Monday, February 23, 2015

Delicious weekend


Some weekends are busy. Some weekends are quiet. This weekend was full of snow and ice and delicious food.

One of our favorite traditions on Saturday and Sunday mornings  (and any day we have off together) is breakfast.  Sometimes it's just peanut butter toast we stuff in our faces before we run out the door.  Other days it's eggs and toast, tea and coffee, the newspaper and the cooking channel.  Friday night we went to the store, which means Saturday and Sunday breakfast was going to be delicious. 

Bacon.
Eggs.
Sourdough toast.
Coffee.
Tea.



{breaths deeply} Ahhhh, I can still smell it. 

Sunday night was pretty good, too. We spent most of the day picking (actually with the pick) away at the ice in the driveway.  1 inch of it on everything.  A skating rink.

We persevered.  Picked, shoveled, scrapped the ice and salted and salted and salted and salted. the temperature was just over freezing and this was our only opportunity before the next deep freeze came.

To celebrate our successful day, I treated Walt Kowalski to a traditional Sunday night of sauce.


I really need to stay away from recipes online.  I cooked rigatoni halfway, then stood them all on their ends in a spring form pan. While the pasta was cooking, I mixed up some ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and spices.  Then I used my cookie decorating bag to fill each rigatoni with the cheese filling. 


I covered the top with sauce and mozzarella cheese and baked it. 

(I put the spring form pan on a cookie tray before baking, just in case the cheese oozed.  It did. I learned that lesson the hard way with an apple tart.) 

After letting it cool for a moment, and running a knife around the outside, I was able to release the pan and see the deliciousness.  It sliced like a cheesecake. A cheese case covered in red sauce.  Delicious. 

A fitting reward for a day of hard work.

1 comment :