Monday, March 31, 2014

Ceilings on a Sunday

 
You don't get action shots when installing drywall on the ceiling.  In this case, the photographer is also the drywall holder.
 
 
 

 
The first piece was rough.  More than rough.  Extra time must be added to everything I do because I have to move the ladder.  And because I'm clumsy.
 
We measured and cut the drywall, positioned the ladders, positioned the drills and screws to be within arm's reach, and maneuvered the drywall into the room.  You can't see it in this photo, but we screwed a 2x4 to the wall lengthwise near the ceiling.  This would allow us to rest one end of the drywall against the wall near the ceiling while one of us held the other end of the drywall (Walt Kowalski) and the other person moved the ladders (me).   
 
 
 
It was a good system. 
 
Once we got the drywall positioned, and Walt Kowalski was holding it up, I moved the ladder, climbed up and helped hold with my head.  That way I could have two hands available to screw the drywall to the ceiling while Walt Kowalski continued to hold.
 
It was a good system. 
 
Until I accidentally knocked the drill off the top of the ladder.   Walt Kowalski wasn't happy.  He was getting monkey arms from holding.  We *finally* got the first piece installed and Walt Kowalski had another plan. 
 
A crutch.
 
 
This was an even better plan. No rushing because of monkey arms. No ladder climbing needed for head support.  I could position the crutch and tighten it into place with my foot.

 
It could be removed and replaced as needed.  As with everything, we learn and get better as we go.


The second piece was much easier with the crutch. The holes for the ceiling fixture and smoke detector lined up perfectly with only a small gap around.



Ever heard the quote from Maya Angelou?

You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle three things:
1. A rainy day
2. Lost luggage
3. Tangled Christmas tree lights

I can add a fourth.

4. Installing drywall on the ceiling with a short person.

Walt Kowalski passes.  There are other things I can add to that list, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment