Friday, February 26, 2016

R2D2

Last weekend we had some errands to run.  The list for the store was growing.  Random stuff. 

Socks.
Cleaner.
Toothpaste.
Baggies.

As we walk in the store, Walt Kowalski heads right to the garden section.  He's drawn to it.  This weather has been so nice.

Walt Kowalski: "Look a smoker. We can smoke things."
Me: "How much does it cost?"
Walt Kowalski: "Only $34."
Me: "Let's start smoking, baby."

We bought R2D2. 

We came home and immediately got out the screwdrivers to put it together.



It was early in the afternoon, I'll have plenty of time to smoke.  AND I have some chicken thawing in the fridge.

What I didn't plan on was having to "cure" the smoker for 3 hours before the first use.  That added time.  Oil the smoker with vegetable oil, make a cool fire inside.  Oil some more.  Make a hot fire.  THEN I could add the food. 

I soaked the chicken in a brine in the meantime. (Next time I need a marinade.)
 
Finally, I got the chicken on, added the apple chips to the coals, added the water pan, put the lid on and waited. 

 
The electrician said that I might need several tires before I got it just right. 

Nope. 

We ate chicken at 9pm, but it was delicious apple smoked chicken.  I was planning broccoli and potatoes too, but the chicken was so good we didn't want anything else.

I added some dry seasonings as it was cooking.  Yummy.  I can't wait to find more recipes for marinades and dry rubs.  AND it's supposed to be nice again this weekend. 


(Nice dish rag and sponge in the background. )

No comments :

Post a Comment