Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Soup Season

It is soup season! I still haven't turned the heat on in the house.  I don't think I'll make it without through this coming weekend, though.

This past weekend I slow roasted a piece of beef. Normally, I would save the broth and freeze it for later, but I couldn't wait.

This is the way my grandmother made it. Leave a big hunk of beef, pull it out, shred it, and you can add as much as you'd like to your bowl.

I never used to like peas in my soup.  Then I started making soup.  The peas need to go in the pot last so they are only heated, not cooked within an inch of their life. Same with the corn.

 

Delicious.


I also made homemade croutons.  AKA What can I do with stale sandwich buns other than give them to the birds? Melted butter, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir stir stir. Bake.

Delicious. This recipe wasn't healthy. Next time I'll make a healthier version. 

My grandfather always said the soup was too hot to eat.  So he would take his bowl and set it outside, often on the patio stones.  We always used to joke that a chipmunk was going to run by and take a taste.  Now it would be the Yoo Hoo raccoon.  She'd bring her spoon.

Next up...chili, potato, and more chicken noodle.  (our favorite!)

No comments :

Post a Comment