Friday, August 16, 2013

Splurges

Are tortilla chips and salsa considered a healthy dinner? 

There are only 2 ingredients in the chips, corn and salt.  There are only 5 ingredients in the salsa, tomato, onion, pepper, garlic, and spices.  Ok technically, more than 5 ingredients because of the spices, but I lumped them all together. 

7 ingredients. That's still less ingredients than so many other foods. 

We don't make it a habit. It was better than the night before when Walt and I each had a single slice of pizza for dinner with the promise that we would work a little and then come inside and have a salad.  We worked and then came inside, showered, and went to bed. 

We are the salad people.  The homemade people.  The fresh everything people.  Time is the cost of homemade and fresh everything.  So a couple of sacrifices must be made.  This way of eating isn't going to continue forever.  I have zucchini and green beans waiting in the fridge for the weekend.

I splurged again.  New work clothes from the thrift store last week.  This week it was new socks and unders.  Such splurges! Maybe it's because it's back-to-school (gasp!) or maybe it's because I had the need to buy something or maybe it's because my socks were so thin I could see through them.  Whatever the reason, I get great enjoyment from new socks. 

I get great enjoyment from clean socks, too. The current batch of clean socks are still in a basket. They are clean, but not put away. I could have put them away along with the other two baskets of clean clothes and towels.  But I didn't.  Instead, Walt and I sat. 

Yes, we just sat. 

We didn't saw anything or trim anything or scrub anything.  We just sat.

We made a small campfire, sat next to the fire, shared a couple of beers (pumpkin!), and just enjoyed the evening. It was a nice evening.    It was a lovely sunset.  The sky was so clear after dark, that the half moon was all the flashlight we needed to find our way back to the house. (Do you think it could have been like this three days ago for the Perseids? Noooooooo.)

This coming weekend (and the next and the next) is jammed packed so this evening off was a pleasure.




For the record, I have specifically NOT mentioned how fall like it has been the last couple of days. Between the camp fire, cool evenings, and pumpkin beers...*sigh*.

No comments :

Post a Comment